Thursday, February 3, 2011

A morning at the Museum of the North


     This marvel, titled “The Muries in Alaska”, was painted by M.C “Rusty” Heurlin.  Hanging calmly on the wall, surrounded by many other pieces of amazing artwork, it spoke volumes to my soul as I rounded the corner on the second floor in the Rose Berry Alaska Art gallery in the Museum of the North today.  Softly flowing oil paints were used in its composition, creating a calming and yet dramatic effect, encouraging me to take a closer look. The colors of this piece, seemed nearly mute in contrast to the vibrant paintings and sculptures that surrounded it. Though somewhat jagged at times the lines of this picture blend together nicely. Perhaps, an effect of using oil paints?  Two people stand in the foreground of the picture, attracting my eyes to create the main “focal point”, and in the background I can see clouds billowing in the sky passing over a vast expanse of untamed land.  Examining this painting, I felt deeply connected and almost emotionally tied to it.
 
     For me, the two travelers appear to be looking out across the land, and if even for just a moment, truly taking in and enjoying the beauty of the world that surrounds them.  The paintings toned down colors almost seem to demonstrate some type of long journey to reach this point.  In no way, though, does this affect the effects of this picture.  Excitement, freedom, strength, hope, and the promise of life, all of these, for me and in my perspective, are expertly brushed here onto this canvas.  

     I could smell the pure mountain air as I inhaled, the cool and crisp bite of it filling my lungs.  I could hear a symphony of bird chirps filling the air, and the sounds of nature all around me.  I could feel the satisfaction of standing there seeing this beautiful landscape before me, and having to stop so that I could gather myself. I could hear rivers rushing off in the distance and see clouds rolling slowly across the sky.  Grass and stalks of grain roll like oceans along the ground.  For a moment, time seemed to slow down for me, so that I might be able to experience all of my surroundings and truly find an appreciation for them.  I could hear my heart beat. Even felt the hope of a new day, and the promise of tomorrow.  This wild land is here before me and I am here to claim it.  I felt excited, I felt free.  

     I believe that most of the emotion and experience brought forth by this painting relates greatly to me and my experiences in life.   Almost as if the artist, through brush, paint and canvas, had found a medium to speak to my soul.  I have always loved nature and the fact that my home is here, and this painting for me represents many of the feelings and emotions that I have been lucky enough to experience just living and traveling in such a unique land as Alaska.

   


2 comments:

  1. Great writing! Funny that you picked this one, because I stopped and looked at this one today and remarked how I thought it looked like President Ronald Reagan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake - great writing. Your descriptions are crisp and memorable.

    Good job!
    grade: 10/10

    ReplyDelete